Sunday, July 29, 2007

the good and the bad

There are a few things that I might, perhaps, admit to being relatively good at. I make an excellent cupcake. I'm a very loyal friend. A hard worker. But there are also several things that I will gladly own up to being rather pathetic at -- anything that involves someone saying "Here--catch!". Singing harmony (although I do so wish I could). And most definitely the ability to organize my possessions. My sister is actually quite amazing at this. I have never had this ability, and instead find myself getting all clammy and suffering from heart palpitations after only a few moments in The Container Store. I just don't know what to DO with all of those things. Don't get me wrong--I love all the little cubbies and drawers. The specially sized things for spices and shoes and everything in between. And I do get a little weak in the knees if it comes in a beautiful color or lovely pattern. But having to pick out just what I need to actually contain my goods--I just can't do it.

But I am very proud to say that I have spent the majority of the weekend getting my closet and other areas in order. And it is looking so lovely. I still have quite a ways to go, but am very pleased with the progress. I am still not a huge fan of the sorting-through bit, but I do so love getting rid of what I know I no longer need. Living in Chicago took such a toll on my shoes--between walking block after block on asphalt and then the addition of a very mischievous puppy--let's just say a lot of shoes had to be thrown out. But the rest of my shoes have such a nice place to stay now. I was at Target on Friday and noticed that their shoe-sized containers were on sale for 99 cents. I love a bargain. So now each pair (or two) has its own little box with a photo on the front so I know what's inside. Love:



My sister has had her shoes organized like this for quite some time (only she uses her favorite little label printer that she ASKED for for Christmas - this is how we are different), and I, admittedly, scoffed at the idea. But I am beginning to understand and appreciate its brilliance. Here's hoping I can maintain it.

I was also able to add a few items to the amelia mae shop:



These little tags would be the perfect staple to keep on hand for all occasions. And this:




A little banner to make decorating for birthday celebrations a snap. I'll be adding more banners in other colors and phrases in the near future.

Hope your weekend was refreshing. Happy Monday.

xo,
amy

1 comment:

Katie Morris said...

All I have to say is WOW. Your closet looks so lovely and I know what it looked like before. I never thought you would actually organize your closet, but you took it one step further with the astounding use of organizational containers for your shoes. I love that you added an artistic flare to the containers by carefully positioning each pair of shoes for their own photo shoot. Brilliant! I love the tags, but especially love the ‘Happy Birthday’ banner. Super cute!