Sunday, August 26, 2007

Worth Celebrating

This has been a weekend of birthdays. My mother's birthday was Saturday, and being the lady that I am, I will not disclose her age, but I will say that she doesn't look it. Not at all. I will also say that the pressure was on when it came to wrapping her gift. Now, normally I would just pass this off as self-imposed ridiculousness, but this was sister-imposed. When Katie saw the photos of my amelia mae packages, she (only somewhat jokingly) pointed out that the expectation had been set for all future gifting. So here's what I came up with:




I made the tag especially for this package, and added the yellow ribbon as it is my mother's absolute most-favorite color. She was pleased. Which is all that really matters.

We also celebrated my boss's birthday at my bill-paying job. It is, I think, an unspoken addition to my job description that I make cupcakes for everyone's birthday. It's been penciled in. Now, I am a little ashamed to admit that I typically make them from a box. Not that anyone seems to notice, as they are always met with gooey, icing covered smiles and sugar-induced exclamations of glee and gratitude. But as this batch was for my boss's birthday, I thought I would make them from scratch. So I made Mexican Chocolate cupcakes. They're vegan. And extremely rich and delicious. You can find the recipe here, if you'd like. The recipe is actually for a cake, but it works perfectly for cupcakes. I just changed the cooking time to 18-20 minutes. It calls for chocolate covered strawberries on top, but because I knew these would be sitting out all day I substituted for Emily's Organic packaged ones instead. Delicious:



Also, as part of the birthday festivities, I took my mother to see Becoming Jane. We have a mutual affinity for Jane Austen. There were a few things I didn't like, but overall I thought it was quite nice--fluffy and romantic and full of Austen-esque trials and what-not.

Between all the celebrations, I did manage to squeeze in some work-time:



I still have some cleaning up to do before it is completely finished.

So overall, not a bad weekend. Full, but happily so. Have a wonderful Monday!

xo,
Amy

2 comments:

Katie Morris said...

Fantastic wrap job, cupcakes from scratch and a collage of sorts....are you Martha Stewart? I don't know how you had time to see a movie with all of the baking and crafting you did this weekend. You are my hero!

P.S. L-O-V-E your latest and greatest work of art!

lizcannon said...

if i had room on my walls, i would buy everything you make!