Sunday, June 3, 2007

knowledge, power, change


"Kicosehp NGO, Kibera Community Self Help programme, Kenya, Africa. This is the largest slum area in Africa with over 1 million people. HIV/AIDS incidence is very high. Support group for people living with HIV/AIDS. Materials prepared by the youth for the youth." (Credit: UNAIDS/G. Pirozzi)


I've been challenged lately by the idea that "knowledge is power". This is such a cliche, I realize, and I usually try to avoid overused phrases, but I think that this one rings true. I think, though, that what is more important than having the ability to gain power through knowledge, is what is done with that power. The most important part, I think, is that with power can come change. This project has been such a process, and I really don't think that it would have happened at all, or at least in this form, had I not educated myself about the true scope of the crisis in Africa, and had my sister and brother-in-law not done the same. I will be the first to admit that, quite honestly, I still know very little and I still have so much more to learn, so much more to understand. But I am trying to learn as much as I can, and I thought I would share a little of what I have learned with you:

The are 25 million people infected with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa. That's 63% of the world's AIDS population. Two-thirds. (1)

About 2.1 million Africans died of AIDS in 2006 alone -- that's roughly three-fourths of all AIDS related deaths in the world that year. (1)

There are some numbers that seem to be improving, and many are receiving the much need antiretroviral treatment. The need is so great, however, and there are so, so many to treat, that only about one-fourth of those infected are receiving treatment. (1)

"AIDS has a female face almost everywhere in the developing world especially in sub-Saharan Africa where, on average, three women are infected for every two men and among the 15-24 age group three women are infected for every one man. Women continue to bear the brunt of the pandemic by caring for the sick and taking in AIDS Orphans more often." (2)

"By the year 2010, five countries (Ethiopia, Nigeria, China, India, and Russia) with 40 percent of the world's population will add 50-75 million infected people to the worldwide pool of HIV disease." (3)

"The UN estimates that, currently, there are 14 million AIDS orphans and that by 2010 there will be 25 million." (3)


It's staggering to me. And overwhelming. And really hard to wrap my mind around.

I guess, really, what I would love to get across more than anything is that maybe, for you, it isn't Africa, it isn't AIDS. Maybe for you it's something else. The truth, really, is that there are plenty of causes, plenty of needs, here in the United States and all over the world. So what is it for you? There are certainly many other causes that weigh so heavily on my heart. And I hope that one day I will be able to make some sort of contribution to those as well. So what could happen if we took those things that have meaning to us, and we dove deeper and we learned more and we were moved to action? What would happen? What could change? Something to think about, I guess. I'm certainly not wanting to sound like I have everything figured out, because I definitely don't. But this really has been on my heart lately. Yours too, perhaps?

Hope you had a nice weekend. Mine absolutely flew by. So, so fast. Happy June!

xo,
Amy

Some citations, should you be curious:
1. UNAIDS 2006 AIDS Epidemic Update
2. Keep a Child Alive
2. Until There's A Cure - Vital Statistics

No comments: