Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sounds (that are) Good: Adele

"Adele" as photographed by Bianca Barrett on Birmingham Live!'s Flickr photostream

Adele is another artist that I kind of just happened upon.  And I am so glad that I did.  Her voice is incredible--and she recorded her debut album, 19, at well, nineteen.  Ridiculous.  I can always tell how much I am enjoying a particular artist by how often I listen to their album after first acquiring it--and how many other artists I filter in within that same time frame.  And I can say with no small amount of certainty that 19 was the only album getting any of my attention for quite some time. 


She cites Etta James and Dusty Springfield as influences, and that is definitely apparent in her music.  If you have been enjoying artists like Amy Winehouse or Duffy you might give her a listen.  But I think that you'll find that she has a sound that is, thankfully, uniquely her own. And she wrote all of the songs on the album, except for her cover of Bob Dylan's "Make you Feel My Love".   So she has that going for her too.

You can sample some tracks on her MySpace, if you'd like to give her a listen.  Happy October!  More to come.

xo,
Amy

No comments: